Friday, July 3, 2009

Sunday Drive



I had to run to Cedar City on Sunday. Rather than take my car, I decided to load up Yoshi and take the Toyota and do some exploring while I was up there.

I decided the first stop was going to be this old dance hall/theater looking place. I've driven past it a million times (as I'm sure everyone has) but have never stopped to look around since I was a kid.

Pretty neat. Would be neat to learn the history of this old place.

After doing some things in Cedar, I headed west on Hwy 56. I wanted to head out toward Modena as I had never been there before and heard it was a neat old town. Along the way I of course drove down endless dirt roads. Outside of Cedar City about 10 miles, there is a huge mine on the right side of the road. I got out here and looked around through some old dumps, and scored an old Dr. Pepper bottle. Sweet! Yoshi had fun too, there were lots of squirrels and rabbits for him to chase. :)


I also wanted to visit Old Iron Town, which (supposedly) was an old ghost town from the iron mining boom of the late 1800's. This is a neat place to visit, but don't plan a whole trip around it. It's very touristy, and the only standing building is an old charcoal kiln. But none the less, it's pretty interesting.






After Iron Town, I kept heading west until I reached Modena. I have heard lots of things about this town. It's almost a ghost town itself, with several old buildings still standing and very few residents. I think the town was actually for sale not too long ago.

The town itself seems no bigger than a city block. It was dead quiet while I was there. Creepy. Here are some pics:














Is that a ghost in the window?

After Modena it was getting a bit late, so I started heading in the direction of home. I headed south at Beryl Junction, to go through Enterprise and back into St. George. But not before stopping to snap a few pics of these old cars!! (Gran Prix and a GTO!!) There were actually 2 GTO's!



On the way home I made one more stop at the Mountain Meadows Massacre site. Many men, women, and children were slaughtered here, I will not get into the details, you can read about it HERE


It was a very very fun day. I can't wait to do it again! Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment