Friday, July 3, 2009

Firebird's Race - 06/06/09 Jericho, UT


June 5th, 2009 we made the trek up to Jericho, UT, near Little Sahara Sand Dunes. The wind was blowing pretty bad, I knew it was a bad sign when we came up over the hill and saw this..


Yikes! When we arrived the wind was horrible. Our original plan was to camp out, but we opted to stay in Delta and a motel instead.

We awoke early the next morning and headed to the race. The mini's usually start first, so we hurried and got Royal's bike warmed up and headed over to the starting line.


Royal got a decent start off the line and rode off into the distance.

This is a desert race, not around a small track. The laps are 15 miles long and usually last around 30-40 minutes. It is pretty nerve racking standing in the pits waiting for him to come through..

After the start, I headed over to "pit row." This is where all the mini's come through for their pit stops. Here is a picture of pit row.



Eventually, One by one, the 65's started coming back through the pits. One after another.. but where was Royal? I started to get very nervous!!! Finally I saw him coming over the hill. But he was in last place.

I grabbed the gas can, and ran up to him. "Dad I crashed, right after the start, going up a hill" I asked if he was ok, and told him not to worry about it. I gassed him up, and wiped off his goggles and sent him on his way again.




Off he went for another lap. The mini's only race for one hour, so he would only be able to get in one more lap. After waiting what seemed like forever, the 65's started coming back through the pits. Knowing Royal was near last place, I was expecting to wait longer, but to my surprise he came up over the hill in 4th!!!! Needless to say, I was VERY proud. He rode into the finish with an ear to ear grin and got his trophy.

I was very proud of him for working his way up from last to 4th! We had a great time. Can't wait for the next one!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment